Indigenous Youth Grant Program
Thank you for your interest in applying for funding from the Peter Gilgan Foundation.
We seek to support Indigenous-led organizations that are meeting the holistic needs of Indigenous youth in the areas of:
- Housing & safe spaces
- Health & healing
- Education & knowledge
- Economic opportunity & building capacity
- Food security & sovereignty
We welcome applications from:
- Registered charities
- Qualified donees
- Nonprofit entities that fall under the non-qualified donee classification outlined by the Canada Revenue Agency
Priority will be given to:
- Projects and organizations that address multiple areas of need in an integrated way
- Organizations serving Indigenous youth in rural and remote communities
- Organizations that are community-based and culturally-informed
We do not accept applications for:
- Capital campaigns
- Emergency relief
- Fundraising drives or events
- Government services
We accept applications for the Indigenous Youth Grant Program on a rolling basis, so there is no application deadline. However, if you have submitted an unsuccessful application to the Peter Gilgan Foundation, please wait at least 12 months before reapplying.
Funding is available as both project grants and general operating grants. Registered charities and qualified donees are welcome to apply for either type of grant depending on what would best suit the needs of their organization. Non-qualified donees are only eligible to apply for project grant funding at this time.
Grants for first-time applicants to this funding stream typically range from $10,000 to $50,000 and are single-year commitments.
The application form consists of a variety of short and long answer questions. You can save your answers right in your account and pick up where you left off should you need to pause your work.
As part of our due diligence process, we request the following financial documents be attached at the end of your application:
- Audited Financial Statements (if applying as a Registered Charity)
- Organization Annual Budget (if Audited Financial Statements are not available)
- Project Budget (if applying for a Project Grant)
You are welcome to upload your own Project Budget or use this template.
You will also have the option to attach supporting documents to help us get to know and better understand your organization. Examples include:
- Annual Reports
- List of Board Directors (or similar)
- List of Funders
- Letters of Support
- Other Documents of Importance
Once you have completed all application tasks, including attaching requested financial documents, please select the "submit" button.
You will be notified about the outcome of your application within approximately eight weeks. Foundation staff may reach out to request a virtual or in-person meeting at your convenience as part of our application review process.
If you have any questions regarding the Indigenous Youth Grant Program or the application process, please don't hesitate to contact us at email@example.com